
Elon Musk’s X finally agrees to try and settle Twitter’s mass layoffs lawsuit
Elon Musk’s X has agreed to attempt to settle a lawsuit by former employees who say the company cheated them of severance pay following mass layoffs. After taking over Twitter, which he rebranded X recently, Mr Musk cut nearly two-thirds of the social media company’s workforce from about 8000 to 2,000, claiming he had “no choice” as the company was losing $4m per day. “Everyone exited was offered 3 months of severance, which is 50 per cent more than legally required,” Mr Musk said. Many laid-off employees, however, publicly announced they never got the severance they were due to get. In the months that followed, the company was hit by several lawsuits, including one alleging the layoffs disproportionately targeted women. Now, months after urging Twitter, the company has agreed to try and settle, according to a memo sent by Shannon Liss-Riordan, who represents the laid-off workers. The labour and civil rights attorney, representing nearly 2,000 ex-employees, said X would attempt to settle with the laid-off staff. “After 10 months of pressing them in every direction we have succeeded in getting Twitter to the table,” she wrote in the memo cited by Bloomberg. Further schedule for the mediation remains unclear, but reports suggest negotiations could happen on 1 and 2 December. X did not immediately respond to The Independent’s request for comment. Some ex-employees have alleged Twitter did not pay them promised severance either. One employee said earlier this year that he had “never even seen a severance letter let alone been offered severance”. While some former staff attempted to resolve the issue by first filing a class-action lawsuit against X, their contracts with Twitter, however, required that disputes be resolved via arbitration. “We are very proud to be representing nearly 2,000 former Twitter employees, in individual arbitrations as well as more than a dozen class action lawsuits in court,” Ms Liss-Riordan had earlier said in a statement, adding that lawyers and former staff were working to recover “what they are owed”. Read More Musk the messiah (or a very naughty boy?) Elon Musk ignores reporter after claims he stopped Ukrainian attack on Russia Elon Musk was on brink of death after catching malaria on South African safari, book claims Musk the messiah (or a very naughty boy?) Elon Musk warns of ‘civilisational risk’ posed by AI at historic gathering Musk was on brink of death after catching malaria on safari, book claims
2023-09-15 15:46

Brenmiller to Unveil Next-Generation Thermal Energy Storage System—the bGen™ ZERO for Heat Electrification and Industrial Sector Decarbonization: Register for Live Presentation to be held August 9, 2023
ROSH HA’AYIN, Israel--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Aug 4, 2023--
2023-08-04 20:21

Turn Your Controller Into a Command Center – Introducing Turtle Beach’s Groundbreaking Designed for Xbox Stealth Ultra Wireless Controller
WHITE PLAINS, N.Y.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Nov 30, 2023--
2023-11-30 21:53

The Four Biggest Hurdles in America’s EV Transition
Since the Inflation Reduction Act was signed into law one year ago this week, there’s been $59 billion
2023-08-14 21:56

What the hell is going on with maximalism design TikTok?
I got you a gift! It's niche TikTok drama. Two TikTok creators who create maximalist
2023-08-08 03:54

Movies, TV Shows Available on Streaming Jumped 39% in Two Years
Overwhelmed by the choices of movies and TV shows to watch online? There’s a reason why. The number
2023-08-28 21:58

RazerCon 2023 Lights Up the Global Gaming Community With Groundbreaking Announcements & Exclusive Partnerships
IRVINE, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Sep 21, 2023--
2023-09-22 02:59

Lemonex announces approval of IND application for mRNA-DegradaBALL vaccine, LEM-mR203, phase 1 clinical trial
SEOUL, South Korea--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Aug 9, 2023--
2023-08-09 19:51

Scholz’s Stumbling Coalition Hit With Fresh Blow by Court Rebuke
After a bruising few months, Chancellor Olaf Scholz and senior members of his ruling coalition were relaxing at
2023-07-06 21:16

Consumption soft even amid deep discounts during major China shopping festival, analysts say
Chinese consumers have been snapping up billions worth of items in China’s first major online shopping festival after emerging from the pandemic as merchants slash prices, but analysts say that consumer confidence still remains weak as China re-emerges from the pandemic
2023-06-19 02:53

AOC jokes more people watched her gaming online than listened to glitch-ridden DeSantis launch
New York Democrat Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez mocked Florida Governor Ron DeSantis’s presidential campaign launch by noting that more people watched her gaming online than listened to the 44-year-old begin to make his case to the voters. Mr DeSantis started his campaign on Twitter Spaces alongside platform owner and Tesla CEO Elon Musk and entrepreneur David Sacks. The launch was marred by tech issues, with the live broadcast crashing several times and the sound dropping out, which Mr Musk blamed on the servers being overwhelmed by the number of people trying to listen in. Ben Collins of NBC News tweeted on Wednesday night that “David Sacks just ludicrously made up that Ron DeSantis’ Twitter space was the largest group that ‘has ever met online.’ There are 100,000 people in this thing.” “We had more people join when I played Among Us,” Ms Ocasio-Cortez added. More than 400,000 people watched Ms Ocasio-Cortez and Minnesota Democrat Ilhan Omar play the game Among Us on Twitch in the lead-up to the 2020 election – one of the 20 most watched streams on the platform at the time, according to The Verge. Ms Ocasio-Cortez was far from the only one mocking the debacle of Mr DeSantis’s disastrous launch. Donald Trump Jr echoed his father’s ‘”low energy” comments about former Florida Governor Jeb Bush during the 2016 campaign, saying that “DeSantis is making JEB! look high energy right now”. Memes began to be shared of the Twitter Spaces chaos, including an edited video of Mr Trump tackling Mr DeSantis to the ground. After the tech issues plaguing the Twitter Spaces event finally faded, Mr DeSantis was mocked for his voice. “Now that the space has worked long enough for DeSantis to deliver consecutive desentences, all I’m seeing are tweets about how annoying his voice is,” Bobby Lewis tweeted. DNC member Thomas Kennedy added: “Holy s*** this is the worst campaign launch I have objectively ever seen. Embarrassing technical difficulties and consists of DeSantis rambling with his annoying nasally voice about the most niche hyper online right-wing issues that your average voter finds weird and alienating.” Josh Marshall of Talking Points Memo, tweeted that “the initial space topped out at over 600k but this one is stuck at 139k”. The second space later hosted on the account of Mr Sacks reached more than 300,000 listeners, according to Twitter. “BuzzFeed exploding the watermelon hit 820,000 concurrent viewers in 2016,” Tom Gara noted. MSNBC host Chris Hayes said: “I’m sorry but this is an ASTOUNDINGLY HUMILIATING degree of incompetence. Unspinnable failure. Total and complete. Fully public.” Former Obama official and Pod Save America co-host Tommy Vietor tweeted on Wednesday evening that “doing a Twitter spaces conversation with Elon at some point during your campaign is a good idea, even if its glitchy. Making this awkward mess your presidential announcement is truly a disaster”. The right-wing account Catturd added: “I left the Space - It was so terrible and boring I couldn’t take it anymore. I’m going to go watch some paint dry so I can be more entertained.” Rep Matt Gaetz of Florida, a Trump supporter, simply wrote: “DeSedative.” Read More DeSantis wants to model America after Florida. Civil rights groups are sounding the alarm on his ‘hostile’ agenda DeSantis dismisses climate change, calling it ‘politicisation of weather’ Ron DeSantis news – live: DeSantis’ glitch-filled 2024 launch on Elon Musk’s Twitter Spaces branded ‘DeSaster’
2023-05-26 02:50

FANUC America Demonstrates Automated Solutions for Welding and Coating at FABTECH
ROCHESTER HILLS, Mich.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Sep 8, 2023--
2023-09-09 02:22
You Might Like...

Newegg Delivering the Tech to Creators and Fans in the YouTube Drop Shop at VidCon Anaheim 2023

China says it hasn't issued any ban on Apple's iPhone

The 'Marvel's Spider-Man 2' PS5 console bundle is $60 off ahead of Black Friday

Mysterious ancient engravings uncovered by drought in the Amazon

This comprehensive ChatGPT and AI training bundle is on sale for under £20

Twitter Delays Ad-Revenue Payouts for Blue Subscribers

The Boston Globe Names Will Ahmed, Founder and CEO, WHOOP to Tech Power Players 50

Foundations seek to advance AI for good — and also protect the world from its threats