
Australia Signals Stepped Up Energy Overhaul Amid US Splurge
Australia needs a whole-of-government approach to bolster spending and investment in clean energy, Treasurer Jim Chalmers said, citing
2023-11-02 10:17

Trudeau Is Betting $9 Billion on a Plan to Clean Up the World’s Dirtiest Oil
Canada is staking billions of dollars of public money on an oil industry plan to transform one of
2023-06-05 18:49

Forget Siri: Your iPhone Can Now Clone Your Voice for Digital Tasks
A new feature for iOS 17 can create a simulation of your voice.
2023-08-16 04:52

Canada Is Near Plan to Limit Emissions From Oil and Gas Sector
Prime Minister Justin Trudeau’s promised cap on emissions from Canada’s oil and gas sector is coming by the
2023-11-10 01:46

US podcast misinformation goes largely unchecked
Misinformation about everything from election fraud to Covid-19 vaccines is reaching millions of Americans through a popular...
2023-07-08 09:49

Standby in iOS 17 will turn your iPhone into an always-on live monitor
One very unique feature Apple unveiled at WWDC this year is one that may get
2023-06-06 05:53

Nasa says Jeff Bezos will build moon lander for Artemis mission
Nasa has named Jeff Bezos’s Blue Origin as the second company to build a lunar lander under its Artemis program, which aims to return astronauts to the Moon for the firs time in more than 50 years. The US space agency awarded the first contract to Elon Musk’s SpaceX in 2021 in a $3 billion deal that was disputed by Mr Bezos at the time. Those initial missions using SpaceX’s Starship system are slated for later this decade. “We want more competition, we want two landers,” Nasa Administrator Bill Nelson said at an event in Washington on Friday. “It means you have reliability, you have backups. It benefits Nasa, it benefits the American people.” Today’s announcement evokes deja vu for Amazon.com founder Bezos and defense contractor Dynetics Inc, the head of a partnership with Northrop Grumman. Those companies lost out to SpaceX for the 2021 contract, part of an initial moon lander procurement program. Nasa under that program said it could pick up to two companies, but blamed budget constraints for only going with SpaceX. The new contract is the biggeset ever deal for Blue Origin, which Mr Bezos founded in 2000. The Amazon founder has invested billions of dollars into the company to compete for high-profile commercial and government space contracts with SpaceX. After losing in 2021, Blue Origin unsuccessfully fought to overturn Nasa’s decision to ignore its Blue Moon lander, first with a watchdog agency and then in court. Blue Origin and lawmakers had pressured Nasa to award a second lunar lander contract to promote commercial competition and ensure the agency has a backup ride to the moon. Nasa in early 2022 announced the program for a second lander contract. Nasa chief Bill Nelson said at the time: “I promised competition, so here it is.” Blue Origin has already named its corporate partners for the lunar lander: Lockheed Martin , Boeing, spacecraft software firm Draper, and robotics firm Astrobotic. Northrop Grumman, previously a key partner in Blue Origin’s unsuccessful Blue Moon bid in 2021, switched teams to join its former rival Dynetics. Nasa’s multi-spacecraft plan for the Artemis moonshots involves its Space Launch System rocket launching astronauts toward the moon aboard the Lockheed-built Orion capsule. That will dock in space with a lunar lander that will ferry the crew the rest of the way to the Moon’s surface. Additional reporting from agencies Read More ‘It’s becoming like an airport’: How SpaceX normalised rocket launches Watch live: Nasa reveals who will build second Artemis lunar lander Nasa Mars lander study reveals ‘main source of heat’ on Red Planet Saturn’s rings are no more than 400 million years old – study
2023-05-19 23:20

Activists Sue South Africa’s Environment Authorities Over Arcelor Pollution
South Africa’s environment minister and the national air quality officer have been sued by environmental activists for allegedly
2023-08-16 00:49

Amazon Prime Day 2023 Is Coming Soon—and Here Are the Best Early Deals You Can Already Shop
Discover the best early Prime Day deals happening now for Amazon Prime Day 2023 on Apple products, robot vacuums, and more.
2023-06-24 06:21

Here's why it is 2016 in Ethiopia
Ever wanted to travel back in time? Well, now you can! (Kind of) You see, whilst the world largely uses the Gregorian calendar, introduced in 1582 by Pope Gregory XIII, some countries have different ways of dividing the year, such as Ethiopia. Prior to the Gregorian calendar most of the Roman World and Europe used the Julian calendar, introduced by Julien Caesar in 45 BCE. The reason the Julian calendar was phased out and replaced is because it was slightly out of sync with the Earth's orbit around the Sun. The transition was not easy, spanning hundreds of years and meaning countries lost between 10 and 13 days. In Ethiopia it is currently 2016 (maybe someone should warn them of what's to come?) Ethiopians follow a 13 month calendar - Meskerem, Tikimt, Hidar, Tahsas, Sir, Yakatit, Maggabit, Myazya, Ginbot, Sene, Hamle, Nehasa, and Pagume. 12 of the months consist of exactly 30 days each, with the final month having five or six days, depending on whether it's a leap year. The time of day is different to how most us understand it too, with the day divided into two 12-hour halves that begin at 6am rather than midnight. The reason it's currently 2016 in Ethiopia goes back to 500 CE. In 500 CE, the Catholic Church changed its calculations of when Jesus was born, but the Ethiopian church did not, and as an extra side bonus this places their new year on the Gregorian September 11. Due to never being colonised, Ethiopia continued to use the older calculations resulting in them living in 2016. Sign up to our free Indy100 weekly newsletter Have your say in our news democracy. Click the upvote icon at the top of the page to help raise this article through the indy100 rankings.
2023-10-21 22:23

Duke and Duchess of Sussex call for overhaul of social media
The Duke and Duchess of Sussex have urged social media companies to reduce the amount of harmful content children can see online to protect their mental health. Harry and Meghan made the remarks at a mental health awareness festival run by non-profit Project Healthy Minds in New York on Tuesday. They are visiting the city for the first time since being caught up in what they called a catastrophic car chase there in May. The royal couple, who have spoken about their own mental health challenges in the past, took part in a panel discussion alongside US surgeon general Vivek Murthy moderated by NBC host Carson Daly, who has previously spoken of his struggles with anxiety. The event, on World Mental Health Day, has been co-ordinated by the duke and duchess’s Archewell Foundation. The couple called on social media firms to adopt better content moderation policies and tweak apps which can prove addictive for youngsters. They spoke after hearing from parents who have lost children to mental health issues linked to social media use. The duke urged tech bosses to “stop sending children content you wouldn’t want your own children to see”. The duchess said she and her husband are focusing on what they can do behind the scenes to make social media use “safer, better and more positive” and that the couple have spoken to tech executives about the issue. She added: “People are getting hurt – and people, specifically children, are dying. “A year ago we met some of the families, not all of them. At that time, it was impossible to not be in tears as I’m sure so many of you have been today hearing these stories. “As parents, our kids are really young – they’re two-and-a-half and four-and-a-half – but social media is not going away. “I think by design, there is an entry point that is supposed to be positive, in creating community and something has devolved, and there is no way to hear that and not try to help these families have their stories be heard.” In the UK, the Princess of Wales gave a speech to young people gathered in Birmingham for a day of workshops and discussions to mark World Mental Health Day, with her husband in the audience. Harry and Meghan were all smiles when they visited the Marcy Lab School in Brooklyn, New York earlier on Tuesday. The school’s website claims it is the “alternative to college that you have been looking for” for people looking to start a career in tech. Harry was applauded when he told a meditation class that “if one of you starts to go quiet, doesn’t show up, you need to find out why” and added “remember to have fun”. Meghan, who was wearing a varsity letterman jacket given to her at the Robert Clack School in Essex in March 2020, told a class she wishes her children were with her but they are “doing well”. Students later rushed to take pictures with the royal couple before the school’s co-founder Reuben Ogbonna joked “back to class, everyone”. Read More Google to trial AI in UK traffic light systems to reduce stop-and-go emissions Broadband customers face £150 hikes because of ‘outrageous’ rises – Which? Rise of AI chatbots ‘worrying’ after man urged to kill Queen, psychologist warns William hails ‘amazing’ eco-friendly start-up businesses Royal website subject to ‘denial of service attack’, royal source says TikTok finds and shuts down secret operation to stir up conflict in Ireland
2023-10-11 06:18

DeSantis defunds diversity programs at Florida public colleges
By Rich McKay Florida Governor Ron DeSantis signed a bill on Monday banning tax dollars from being used
2023-05-16 02:48
You Might Like...

Former Slack and Dropbox Executive Johann Butting Joins Mentimeter’s Board of Directors

Order these HD camera binoculars by June 5 and get them in time for Father's Day

Nepali sherpa becomes world’s second person to scale Everest 26 times

FIFA 23 FUTTIES Best of Batch 3: Full List of Players

Please wear clothes in your digital driver's license photo, Georgia officials urge

Roblox's New AI Assistant Will Help You Build New Worlds

First on CNN: New bipartisan bill in Senate could address TikTok security concerns without a ban

Grip Security Raising $41 Million Series B Led by Third Point Ventures